I get so many questions about my curly gray hair on Instagram so I thought it would a good idea to gather my answers and product recommendations for curly gray hair all in one place as a reference. I hope you will find this helpful.
This post will be updated regularly as I try new products for my curly gray hair. I will never promote products I do not personally use.
In this post I will share:
- my curly hair product recommendations.
- my gray hair product recommendations.
- the styling tools I use.
- how I style my curly gray hair.
This post contains affiliate links. This means products purchased through my affiliate links earn me a small commission, which supports my small business
My Curly Hair Product Recommendations
I use mostly Evolvh products, but also like Surface. Both are non-toxic, and cruelty-free, which is very important for me.
I use and LOVE the curly hair products from Evolvh, which are sulfate-free, paraben-free, silicone-free, pthalates-free, propylene glycol-free, and synthetic fragrance-free. They have lines for other hair types as well.
I also use these hair drying turbans after I shower. They are the best for keeping my hair from frizzing.
Here are the products I use:
- Evolvh curly hair shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in conditioner every other day. I do not wash daily. These are available as a healthy curls trio.
- Evolvh curl defining cream
- Evolvh wonder balm
- Evolvh hair spray
- Surface Masque
Here are some more options from Surface on Amazon:
Once per week I use this apple cider vinegar rinse from dpHUE. It gently removes any buildup and restores PH balance. My curls love it.
My Gray Hair Product Recommendations
It takes effort to keep gray hair from yellowing or dulling, so I have a routine a stick to.
What has made a huge difference, is my shower filter. Minerals can discolor hair, so it seems like a good place to prevent issues before they even start!
This is the one I have. I just replace the filters when needed.
Once a week, I replace my curly hair cleansing products with the Violet blonde hair line from Surface. Purple neutralizes brassy and yellow shades. I sometimes use these after the ACV rinse.
Once a month, I use this purple mask from Bold Uniq. The purple shampoo is AMAZING and I used it before I switched to Surface. I had not found a super clean purple product, so it was a holdout. It is better than many, but has synthetic fragrance so I moved on to Surface.
It is pretty intense so be sure to wear gloves and do not leave it on for too long. I wrote a post about the shampoo you can read here. I will update it soon.
My Styling Tools
This is a super short section because I usually just air dry my hair. But where I want to amp up my curl and volume I do use a couple extra items.
- I use these microfiber towels to squeeze excess product into my hair (I will explain in the styling section)
- I use these clips to lift section of my roots for more volume. I also use these to hold my curls out of my face when I do my makeup.
- I use this hairdryer with the diffuser attachment.
How I Style my Curly Gray Hair
Regardless of the drying process, I use the same process for product application.
- Step One: spray in leave in conditioner or toner spray (see products) to very wet hair.
- Step Two: work a healthy amount of curly styling cream into very wet hair.
- Step Three: squeeze excess water and product from hair with microfiber towel.
- Step Four: add in a little more styling cream and wonder balm (a little goes a long way).
- Step Five: add clips (optional) for lift.
- Step Six: Diffuse on low (medium heat) by actually laying hair into the diffuser. I dry upside-down part way through for volume.
- Lastly- add a little hair spray for lift and setting and diffuser a few seconds more.
I hope you will find this helpful.
I'll be adding so much more to the blog soon (I am just getting started), so be sure to check back soon and signup for my newsletter to make sure you don't miss out.
Thanks for reading!